Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Are you kidding me!

Okay....first let me say that this is a post out of order. Let me also say that this is a post for me more than anything else. I use this blog as a sort of journal to keep up with all that the kids do, and this is one I want a record of.

My mom has been staying with us for about a week and a half, while her floors were repaired and refinished. Thursday night, after putting Jake to bed, Mom was is in the living room and I was in the office, and Jake "escaped" from his room. He was very sneaky about it, too. He snuck into Mimi's room and got "candy" out of her closed overnight case. Unfortunately, that candy was actually Synthroid (thyroid medicine) and he finished off the bottle (16 pills). He also got into one of her multi-vitamins and the capsule broke open in his mouth. He didn't much care for the taste of that one and started crying, which is when we found out that he was out of bed...and that he was eating something. It took us a little while to figure out what it was, though.

Once we realized what he had done, we called the pediatrician and poison control. They said that it was not a toxic dose, and that we didn't need to take him to the ER. So, Jake slept with me and Gary that night (what a little snuggle bug!), and I took him to the pedriatrician on Friday morning. They checked him out and then drew some blood. They had a hard time getting the needle in his vein, and they ended up having to try both arms. The first time they stuck him, he didn't even flinch. Then they had to move the needle around trying to get into the vein, and he was fine for a little while, and then he got upset. They got the second arm pretty quickly, but the damage was done by then. As soon as he was done, though, and he got a sticker, he was a happy little dude again. All the poor little guy wanted was some fries, so we ran through McDonalds, and got him a Happy Meal. Poor thing, he fell asleep before he even could eat his fries!

He never did show any of the symptoms they told me to expect and looked perfectly healthy to the doctor. By the time we got the bloodwork back I was pretty much convinced that he hid the pills instead of taking them. WRONG! The bloodwork showed that he definitely took them!

Because of the pills, his thyroid was compensating for the excess and not producing whatever hormone it is supposed to...which is a good thing, and why he wasn't showing any symptoms. I had to take him back on Tuesday (yesterday) do the labs again to see how it was progressing. Bless his little heart, he started screaming as soon as we walked out of the waiting room and into the office! He remembered... They knew which arm to try this time though, and it was over very quickly. He screamed the whole time though until his was done and got his sticker!

The labs this time showed that the pills were basically out of his system, but his thyroid hasn't kicked back in yet. His doctor said he is progressing exactly as he would expect. Now I have to take the poor little guy BACK AGAIN on Tuesday to do it all over again. The hope is that his thyroid will back to functioning at full speed then! I'll keep you all posted.

Long story short, though...HE'S OKAY and quite a trooper...not to mention a stinker!

As for Mom, she went back home this morning, about 3 hours ago, and I already miss her! She was such a huge help. She did my laundry, kept my house in perfect order, cooked dinners, played with my kids, kept them while I worked, and did diaper duty for a week and a half. Not to mention, kept me company! It was so nice to have another adult in the house, especially one I love! Thanks, Mom! I love you!

1 comment:

The Hart's said...

He is a little stinker! I know you enjoyed having your Mom and will miss her being there all the time! Glad she is close by though, I miss being near my family sooo much! Love ya!